THE ENGLISH COCKER SPANIEL TEMPERAMENT
The English Cocker is merry and affectionate, of equable disposition, neither sluggish nor hyperactive, a willing worker, and a faithful and engaging companion.
The objectives of this club shall be:
- To encourage and promote quality in the breeding of pure-bred English Cocker Spaniels and to do all possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection;
- To define precisely the true type of the breed, and to urge members and breeders to accept that standard of the breed as approved by The American Kennel Club as the only standard of excellence by which English Cocker Spaniels shall be judged;
- To do all in its power to protect and advance the interests of the breed and to promote educational activities pertaining to the English Cocker Spaniel;
- To encourage sportsmanlike competition at dog shows, field events, obedience trials, hunting tests and tracking tests;
- To conduct sanctioned matches and specialty shows, field events, obedience trials, hunting tests, tracking tests, and other performance events under the rules of The American Kennel Club; and
- To encourage the organization of independent local English Cocker Spaniel Specialty Clubs in those localities where there are sufficient fanciers of the breed to meet the requirements of The American Kennel Club.
– from Article 1, Section 2 of the Constitution and By-laws of the ECSCA, Inc.